Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Days 0-2

So, I promised I would tell you what we actually did. Here is my experience leading up to landing in Phnom Penh!

Tuesday 13 November 2012

What a crazy day. What a crazy day. Packing. Studying. Testing. Testing. Lord, I am so glad that day is over! The beginning part of my day is all school and boring, so I'll skip right along to the fun end-of-the-day story...

After my last test was over, at about 7 at night, I got dinner with my dad to tell him goodbye! I love my dad so much! Then, I started driving to my mom's house so she could take me to the airport the next morning.

Anyways, on the way to her house, I made a pit stop at 121 and Glade. You see, Alf and Kelly had put their American fast food orders in -- a Chick-fil-a sandwich with waffle fries and a #1 with cheese plain and dry from What-a-burger. Challenge accepted. Chick-fil-a was first. I place my order and mosey on up to the window. My conversation with the drive thru guy:

Drive thru guy: Do you need sauce with that?

Me: Not today, but I have a question for you.

Drive thru guy: *Confused look* Uh, yeah?

Me: So, how do I keep this fresh for the longest possible time?

Drive thru guy: Eat it.

Me: You don't understand, I am taking this food to my best friend in the whole world, and all he wants is a Chick-fil-a sandwich. How can we make this happen?

Drive thru guy: Let me get my manager.

The manager, and the rest of the staff (all laughing), come up to the window and I explain my story to them again.

Manager: Put it in the over at 375 and check it every 2 minutes.

That was easy! Mad props to the Chick-fil-a on Glade! The same process happened at What-a-burger, but the drive thru guy kept kelling me to put it in the freezer...even though I was on an air plane.

I ended up listening to Chick-fil-a guy. I got it really cold in the fridge and put it in an insulated lunch box. Somehow, it made it through American security, Korean security, AND Cambodian security. God really wanted them to have their fast food! They ate it, enjoyed it, and, most importantly, didn't get sick! Praise the Lord!



Wednesday 14 November 2012

This was written in a letter from a  dear friend I read on the plane: "Today you set off on an incredible adventure with the Lord." Boy, if that isn't the theme of the trip, I don't know what is. The adventure part is obvious. My team and I traveled literally halfway around the world; there is adventure guaranteed when you do that! As far as the with the Lord part, you'll have to keep reading my future posts for how God showed up! Like I said in my last post, He is HUGE!

Today was a day of travel. And most of Thursday as well. We got to the airport at 7:30AM to leave for South Korea. By 8:30 we were through security, which I thought was incredible for DFW airport! And Sandra, my roommate for the duration of the trip, is a traveling pro so she made sure we both got exit row seats with TONS of leg room! I don't know what I'd have done without her and those awesome seats! The flight departed at 10:30AM (or 11:30PM Cambodia time, if you're keeping track of that).

Sandra and I had so much fun on the plane! We didn't sleep on that flight at all! (Maybe not the best idea? But we don't care!) We watched movies and talked for a while, but my favorite thing we did was play with an amazing app that Sandra had on her iPad! She bought an app called uTalk Khmer (pronounced like 'come-I') and we learned a ton of words on the flight! Talk about a productive trip!

Got to spend a lot of time in the word. A couple of my favorites:

1 Corinthians 16:11 "Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually."

Exodus 15:2 "The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise Him, my father's God, and I will exalt Him."

Side note, the plane food was awesome! I was so surprised! We had traditional Korean food (We were flying Korean Air); it was very well seasoned and hot! Speaking of hot, it was hot on the plane. Good Lord, it must have been at least 85F in there! Good prep for the Cambodian heat we were about to face I suppose... God is good!

Thursday 15 November 2012

We crossed the international dateline on our 15 hour flight to Korea and presto change-o, it is Thursday! Today on the plane, Sandra and I got into trouble for being too loud when we were talking to our teammates as they came up (We were sitting right by the bathrooms, so we always got to say hello!) and waited in line. It was super funny!

The rest of my time was spent in prayer. I prayed for myself, I prayed for my girls back home, I prayed for Cambodia, and I prayed for my team! I prayed for a long time for physical and spiritual protection for us! And God was so good! No one got sick until we were done serving in Svay Pak! Such a blessing! It is so good to trust a God who is so in control!

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding: in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

We landed in South Korea and made it through customs pretty fast so we could make sure and catch our flight to Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA! We met up with Christa for this flight! She is working with IJM in Cambodia and is completely amazing! God is doing huge things with her life!

We weren't so lucky with our seating on this flight -- no exit row! Sandra and I still got to sit together though! I was blessed with the middle seat and I got to talk to a really cool Khmer man next to me! He helped us with our pronunciation of a couple words we had learned from Sandra's iPad! What luck! Praise God! This flight was only 5 hours and 21 minutes, but it felt so much longer than the 15 hour flight we had just gotten off of. I popped in Dark Knight and eventually fell asleep. (Did I mention Korean Air is awesome? Dark Knight on demand!)

We landed at around 11PM Cambodia time, a full 24 hours after we left America! I saw Alf and Kelly from far away and the tears were already flowing! It was like being reunited with my parents after 9 months away. I love them so much.

We drove straight to our hotel. Praise the Lord! All we wanted to do was sleep in a bed. The road to the hotel was getting pretty sketchy, but the actual hotel was super nice! It was called the Moona Hotel. We went straight to sleep to prepare for an early morning.

More on that later...


Thought of the moment: So often we go on these trips looking to serve. Which is great! It really is! The way we do it isn't always great though! It is so important that we focus on letting God work through us, instead of trying to do God's will on our own! Praise God that His will is bigger than I could ever accomplish on my own! Only by His strength can I do His will! I LOVE that none of this trip was about me. All of this trip was about God, and for God, and by God.

Verse of the moment: Luke 1:37 "For nothing is impossible with God."

Song of the moment: Christ is Risen // Matt Maher So, keeping with the theme, we can't do anything without God and we can do everything with Him. That starts at the cross. That is the reason that anything is possible. My charge to you: Remember the cross. Be inspired by the cross. Live by the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment