Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 1 - 2

Now I will tell you about my actual trip! The first two days were all traveling, so I'm sorry if you find this post boring!

We were on planes for a long, LONG time! For those of you who are interested, we flew from DFW to Chicago to Brussels, Belgium to Rwanda to Entebbe, Uganda. I met my team for the first time when we were in Chicago, so that was nice!

On my flight from Chicago to Brussels, I sat next to a man from Cameroon. It was really fascinating to sit by him! He had been living in America for twenty years, during which time he attended college, got his MBA, became a successful businessman, and started two of his own companies! It was interested to talk to him about what life was like coming into America for the first time and a few other random philosophies.

When we arrived in Brussels, we had one goal: Eat a Belgian waffle. Unfortunately, on our side of security there were no fresh waffles. We had to settle for a prepackaged 'Belgian' waffle; it was actually very tasty! Brussels was not my favorite stop... We couldn't find the bathrooms and once we got on the plane, we had to stay on the ground for an hour waiting for them to straighten out our luggage. Also while we were in Belgium, we found out that they combined us with another flight so we ended up having to fly all the way to Rwanda (which is south of Uganda) before we could get off in Entebbe! Crazy!

When we got off the plane in Entebbe, at long last, we were greeted with an hour long bus ride to Kampala, the capital. If there was ever a time that I didn't want to sit down, it was then! Yet despite my discomfort, I was very much captivated by what I could see of Uganda in the evening light. It was beautiful, but more on that later!

We finally arrived at Adonai Guest House at about 11PM Uganda time (Our journey began the day before at 1PM America time. That is about 26 hours of traveling). We all got a roommate and I ended up with Allison, who turned out to be a good friend to me on this trip! More on that later...



This is my team at Adonai Guest House.

No comments:

Post a Comment