Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Great Exchange

So, I'm really nervous to write this blog for a couple of reasons: 1. I just got home from Uganda, so I am still very tired and it is pretty hard to organize my thoughts about this trip in a way that is coherent to other people. 2. I don't know what people are going to think about this particular post anyways. I just want to start off by saying I love America and Uganda! ;-) Here goes...

So, what is the first thing you think of when you think of Uganda, or any part of Africa for that matter? If you're anything like I was before this trip, the first thing you think of is some kind of poverty; I would think of a skinny child with a swollen stomach sitting alone with flies on his face, or some small mud huts, or people drinking dirty water. These were all things that were prevalent in Africa during my time there, but these things are not what define Africa to me now.



In America, there is a very individualistic and materialistic culture. We think that happiness is having this thing or accomplishing this task (I am using 'we' as a general stereotype; I realize that not all Americans fall into this category); so often, we only allow ourselves to be happy when we are perceived as successful by those around us. But, how many wealthy Americans do you see that are really, truly happy? That are really, truly satisfied with what they have? I don't think it is very common. There is always more to be obtained and achieved; new goals are being made just as fast as old ones are met, so there is always another level to reach before we are satisfied with where we are.

In Uganda, I found a more community based, relational culture. The people will stop what they are doing to have a conversation; in fact, it is rude not to! They don't have much at all, but they so appreciate what they do have; for example, we saw several mud huts with dirt floors that were swept clean every day. The compliments that they gave each other were deep, instead of just surface level. "Your house is very clean." "You look very smart today." The people were so joyful and contented just to be with each other and with us. It was so beautiful.

So, confession time: I am having a really hard time writing this blog. I think I'm just going to stop here; I just know that no matter how many times I reword what I have written, I will never capture the essence of these people or of what I am trying to say. I hope you understand! I am just trying to emphasize that these people get their joy from love, and that they are the happiest and most accepting people I have ever met.

Earlier, I asked you what you thought of when you thought of Africa. Well, I hope something else comes into your mind first now. I have a few more posts where I will try and get this message across, because it was my number one take away from this trip, so just bear with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment